Virtual Teenz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discuss and get help with teen problems of sexuality, puberty, mental health, etc...

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» where is everybody????????
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 5:11 pm by Relyh

» art work - the bestest you ever did seez.
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 10:16 pm by Jak9

» Crazy shit man.
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 10:07 pm by Jak9

» centipedes??? in my vagina???
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 9:59 pm by Jak9

» Simply put...
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 11:13 pm by Tilly&Teri

» life as a little person with no arms
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 11:13 pm by Tilly&Teri

» Derek has been banned indefinitely.
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 12:33 pm by HeadCounselor

» puberty 4 siamese twins
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 12:27 pm by HeadCounselor

» Suggestions
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 2:18 am by HawthorneHeightsGurl

Top posters
Jak9
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) I_vote_lcapObsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) I_voting_barObsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) I_vote_rcap 
Relyh
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) I_vote_lcapObsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) I_voting_barObsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) I_vote_rcap 
Francine
toomuchpurple
Jake...
Claustrophobia
Tilly&Teri
HawthorneHeightsGurl
HeadCounselor
Angela
Meebo Me!
Furcadia
Furcadia!

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
toomuchpurple

toomuchpurple

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Empty
PostSubject: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)   Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 11:19 pm

What is Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder?

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, OCD, is an anxiety disorder and is characterized by recurrent, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or repetitive behaviors (compulsions). Repetitive behaviors such as handwashing, counting, checking, or cleaning are often performed with the hope of preventing obsessive thoughts or making them go away. Performing these so-called "rituals," however, provides only temporary relief, and not performing them markedly increases anxiety.

Signs and symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)

Most people with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) have both obsessions and compulsions, but some people experience just one or the other. The symptoms of OCD may wax and wane over time. Often, the symptoms get worse in times of stress.

Common obsessive thoughts in OCD include:

* Fear of being contaminated by germs or dirt or contaminating others
* Fear of causing harm to yourself or others
* Intrusive sexually explicit or violent thoughts and images
* Excessive focus on religious or moral ideas
* Fear of losing or not having things you might need
* Order and symmetry: the idea that everything must line up “just right.”
* Superstitions; excessive attention to something considered lucky or unlucky

Common compulsive behaviors in OCD include:

* Excessive double-checking of things, such as locks, appliances, and switches.
* Repeatedly checking in on loved ones to make sure they’re safe.
* Counting, tapping, repeating certain words, or doing other senseless things to reduce anxiety.
* Spending a lot of time washing or cleaning.
* Ordering, evening out, or arranging things “just so.”
* Praying excessively or engaging in rituals triggered by religious fear.
* Accumulating “junk” such as old newspapers, magazines, and empty food containers, or other things you don’t have a use for.
Back to top Go down

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Page 1 of 1